Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Meir Beigel’s “PetieBagel”


מאיר בייגל פתיבייגל
When I first read about this new product from Meir Beigel I could not imagine what it would actually taste like. The thought of combining pretzels and Petit Beurre tea biscuits into one item seemed odd and farfetched to me. I do enjoy mixing salt and sweet snacks but I couldn’t work out how a tea biscuit pretzel would taste.

Meir Beigel’s Petiebagel are small, heart shaped “cookie flat pretzels”. They come in three flavors: Vanilla, Cocoa and Cinnamon. I bought the first two flavors to try. As soon as I put the first Vanilla cookie in my mouth I understood the concept. It was exactly what they said it would be a tea biscuit take on a pretzel. It’s mildly sweet like a Petit Beurre but very dry and crunchy like a flat pretzel. 


The cocoa flavor is very prominent in the chocolate flavored Petiebagel but not too overpowering.

I keep going back and forth trying to decide if I like the cookies or not. They are absolutely too dry and that I really dislike but, I enjoy the fact that they are a fairly plain and not too sweet cookie. I prefer to mix the two flavors (cocoa and vanilla) together when I snack on them because I don’t like each flavor on its own for too long.  

I think part of the reason this biscuit/pretzel combo is so dry is the fact that they were trying so hard to make a low fat, low calorie cookie. With each small baked heart shaped piece being only 4 calories I would say they sort of succeeded.

Bottom Line: I think it’s great that Meir Beigel are working so hard to try and develop low fat, low calorie & low sugar snacks. I never would have thought of combining a tea biscuit and a flat pretzel into on item but they did, and it kinda sorta works. Yes, it’s way too dry, I think they need to change that. Yes, at times I didn’t like it but other times I snacked on it I thought it was the perfect; not too sweet biscuit I was craving. I guess “my jury is still out” on this item. I’m not sure if I will repurchase it in the future. I may stick to the classic tea biscuits or mildly sweet animal crackers when I want a plain cookie and have pretzels when I want a dry saltier option. 


PetieBagel 180 gram bag = 6.90 NIS

Kosher Parve Badatz

 Disclaimer: All items were purchased by me. No one is paying me for this review. All opinions are my own

No comments:

Post a Comment