Monday, April 30, 2012

Elite’s Splendid 70% Dark Chocolate Bars Ginger & Coffee


עלית שוקולד ספלנדיד בטעמים ג'ינג'ר וקפה
I feel like I say this way too often on this blog but I will say it yet again, I’m a self proclaimed dark-chocoholic! So naturally I was curious to try something from Elite’s new bunch of 70% Cocoa Solids Flavored Chocolate Bars. They are available in a few flavors including ginger, wild berries, coffee and orange plus one with no added flavor. A part of me wanted to try all of them but I “controlled” myself and only bought two. The ginger one sounded the most unique and intriguing to me and I thought the coffee flavored bar would be the one my friend, who was meant to stop by that weekend, would most likely enjoy so those are the two I picked.

First I tasted the Ginger Flavored 70% Dark Chocolate bar. I had no idea what to expect because I don’t think I’ve ever tasted a ginger flavored chocolate before. Yes I’ve tasted ginger in savory dishes and I think I’ve had ginger flavored tea at some point, but I’m not sure I know exactly what ginger tastes like on its own. I didn’t know if it would blend well with dark chocolate but I was curious to find out.

I gotta say I didn’t really pick up on any added flavor in the bar. It just tasted like a somewhat rich & smooth 70% dark chocolate bar. I liked it but I was disappointed that I didn’t taste any ginger in it. Maybe I don’t have a finely enough developed palate but I was kind of anticipating a unique flavor that just wasn’t there for me. Still I will enjoy the rest of the bar.


When my friend came over we tasted the coffee flavored one, she didn’t want to try the ginger one. There was no doubt that this was a coffee flavored chocolate bar. The aroma and taste of coffee was very strongly prevalent. If you don’t like the taste of coffee I don’t think this is the right chocolate bar for you. I’m myself am not a huge fan of coffee but I don’t hate the flavor of coffee (in other things aside from the drink itself) so I thought it was a pleasant enough chocolate bar. My friend, on the other hand, really enjoyed it; then again she’s a huge coffee fan and regular coffee drinker so that didn’t surprise me.


When I bite into the coffee flavored chocolate square it wasn’t a gritty chocolate but when I let the chocolate melt in my mouth I could actually feel the ground coffee beans they added into the bar. I don’t mean that in a bad way, it didn’t bother me like poorer quality chalky or powdery chocolates usually bother me, but I’m just saying I could feel a bit of grittiness in the chocolate that was clearly from the coffee beans. I then looked at the chocolate more carefully and I was actually able to see the bits of coffee beans as well, I guess that’s what made the coffee flavor so strong. 


I like that the squares in this line of Splendid 70% Dark-Chocolate Bars are thinner and slightly larger than the squares on the Elite 60% Dark Chocolate bars. Yes this 70% bar tasted somewhat richer and like a better quality dark chocolate than the 60% bar they make but still not as high quality as other 60%-70% dark chocolates available on the local market.

A lot of 70% cocoa solids dark chocolate bars have too much of a cocoa taste for many people, even those who like rich dark chocolates, I think you will find this line of chocolate bars to be a bit “lighter” and a drop less "cocoay" than other 70% cocoa solid chocolate bars.

Bottom Line: I think for a company like Elite these Splendid 70% Dark Chocolate Ginger or Coffee flavored Bars are fairly decent chocolate bars. I was disappointed not to be able to pick up on the ginger in that bar, but it was still a tasty and enjoyable dark chocolate bar. The coffee bar on the other hand had a strong and deep coffee aroma and flavor, which my friend really liked. I can see myself repurchasing these chocolate bars if and when I need or want a fairly decent 70% dark chocolate bar. Elite often runs sales on their products so they are likely to be less expensive than most of the imported 70% dark chocolates I usually buy. I also plan on trying the orange flavored one at some point if or when I do I may add an update if I have something interesting to say about it.  


100 gram bar- 9.79NIS

Kosher Dairy Cholov Yisrael OU


Disclaimer: All items were purchased by me. No one is paying me for this review. All opinions are my own.

2 comments:

  1. I was wondering about these. Are they any different than the previous 70% Elite bars? It just seemed like different packaging to me (for the plain and coffee ones, ginger and orange are definitely new flavors).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I gotta say I had never tried the coffee one in the old packaging and I didn't taste the regular one in the new packaging so I cant say if they are different, sorry. The press release made them sound as if they are different but I don't usually trust that so my guess is they are the same.

      I thought there was an orange flavored one in the old line as well but I may be wrong. Like you said I had never seen a ginger one and I don't remember there being a wild berry one either. So maybe those are the only real new ones here. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

      Delete