Tuesday, February 28, 2012

MamaOf's Baked Chicken Schnitzel & Coupon


מאמא עוף שניצל אפוי ביתי
MamaOf’s latest addition is a baked, not fried, Chicken Schnitzel. The lack of frying makes it only 4% fat per 100 grams of chicken schnitzel. Given that all MamaOf chicken products are made with 100% chicken breast this makes for a much healthier schnitzel option.

I was really happy to see this healthier version hit the market but I wanted to make sure that it passed my personal taste test. If something is healthier and less fatting but I don’t like the taste I may not end up buying it on a regular basis.

I warmed up one piece in the microwave and put the other in the grill press.


I may have nuked it for too long in the microwave because it came out kind of dry. It was still edible and even enjoyable but just drier than I like. I don’t plan on warming this chicken schnitzel in the microwave next time because I was much happier with the piece that was warmed in the grill press. The outside coating was nice and crispy leaving the chicken breast inside perfectly juicy.

As someone who usually bakes and doesn’t fry whenever possible I can’t say I noticed or missed the oil/frying process that MamaOf normally does. Had I not known it was baked not fried I don’t think I would have picked up on it at all. It’s possible though that kids or adults who only eat fried schnitzel would notice the difference and miss the deep fried version I myself didn’t.

The major issue I had with this product is the steep price. I think 39 NIS for a 650 gram package of frozen schnitzel is a lot. As important as cutting back on fried foods is I’m sure most families would not want to spend 39 NIS on frozen schnitzel when the non baked ones are often on sale and you can usually get them for less than half that price. I don’t think MamaOf is justified in changing so much for these "healthier" schnitzels.

Bottom Line: Taste wise, warmed in my grill press, MamaOf’s Baked Chicken Schnitzel was a winner for me. I didn’t miss the extra oil or frying process one bit. It made me wonder why it took them so long to come up with this baked, not fried, idea but I guess it’s better late than never. The high price is a problem and I hope they lower the price or have it on sale often so this healthier version can be more affordable for all of us.

650 gram bag 38.99 NIS

Kosher Meat Mehadrin

Here is a coupon I found online for 15% off one bag of this MamaOf's Baked Chicken Schnitzel. It won't bring the price down as low as I think it should be but I guess its better than paying full price.
It can be used at Shufersal Sheli, Shufersal Deal, Tiv Tam and Chazi Chinam.
It expires 31/3/12.

source
    


 Disclaimer: All items were purchased by me. No one is paying me for this review. All opinions are my own

No comments:

Post a Comment