Thursday, April 14, 2011

Osem's Instant Mashed Potatoes & Onions Kosher for Pesach

אסם פירה עם בצל - כשר לפסח
In my mind Pesach and Potatoes "go together like a horse and carriage" so finding potato products on the shelf for Pesach should not be that big of a deal. What made me want to try these Osem "Mashed Potatoes with Onions" is the fact that there is no cooking involved in preparing them. Yes you do need some boiled water (and some not boiled water).

Since almost no Holiday/Chol HaMoed in Israel would be complete without a "Mangal" (BBQ) /picnic or few… and I was looking for a good side-dish to take along to the park. I thought I can easily boil some water in a pot on the Mangal (BBQ), or maybe even bring a hot thermos of boiling water along, and we can enjoy mashed potatoes with all the meat, chicken or fish we are grilling.  I just had to try the instant mashed-potatoes to see if they are tasty.

Both Osem and Knorr have a Kosher for Pesach instant mashed-potatoes with onions available this year. I tasted the Osem version.

It was very easy to prepare. There were no lumps left in the bowl, after I finished mixing in the boiled water, a half cup at a time, and then I let it rest for a few moments.

For what it is "instant mashed-potatoes" it was OK, at best. The consistency of the mashed-potatoes was very smooth and creamy but, it definitely tasted like it was made from a powder and not fresh potatoes. The onions definitely added a lot of flavor, I personally think I would prefer the one without the onions but for those who enjoy onion flavor they will surly get their fair share of onions.

As with the Kosher for Pesach Osem Bisli and the Kosher for Pesach Osem Crouton Soup-Rings, I wanted to point out to those of you in the USA that a friend told me she saw these same Osem Mashed-Potatoes with Onions advertised for sale in the USA. So they might be on the shelf in the Kosher for Pesach section in your local supermarket.

Bottom Line: It would not be my first choice of mashed-potatoes but if I need a convenient carbohydrate side-dish, which I can easily and quickly prepare in the park, I would possibly consider serving it. If I was at home I would rather make mashed potatoes from fresh potatoes and possibly serve them up like this; topped with a deliciously juicy burger.

Box of two 135 gram bags – 12.99

Kosher Parve - Kosher for Passover- Badatz




I also noticed that Osem has 2 mashed potato "Mana Chama" options that are kosher for Pesach. If you must work on Chol HaMoed they might be a convenient option to take along to the office. All you have to add is some boiled water and you have a hot portion of mashed potatoes. I did not taste them so I can't give you my opinion on that.






Disclaimer: All items were purchased by me. No one is paying me for this review. All opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment