Monday, February 28, 2011

Sano's Vacuum Zip-Lock Food Bags

"Sano Sushi" has added a new bag to its wide variety of products; a vacuum, zip-lock, food-storage bag. The starter package comes with 5 specially designed vacuum bags (a mix of 3 different sizes), a reusable (battery-free) air removal pump and a small plastic "u shaped" tool used to easily and tightly close the zipper.

The bags have a special one-way valve that allows the air from the bags to be removed, via the pump, keeping the food vacuum tight inside the bag.
A major benefit of vacuum packing is that it protects your food against freezer burn or from quickly going stale, which means less wasted food and money.
For a long time now I've wanted a counter-top, vacuum, food-sealer system for my kitchen. But I have yet to find one here in Israel so, until that gadget makes it across the pond, I thought I'd try this new product from Sano 
I was pleasantly surprised how well it worked. It did take a try or two until I got the hang of how to properly use the pump.  At first I was not applying enough pressure so the air was not being vacuumed out. I also had to making sure the pump was directly above the valve and that the content of the bag did not pass the angled dotted line, on the top right-hand corner of the bag.
Once I got the hang of all the details I was thrilled to see how well it worked. I could actually hear the air being pumped out of the bag and I could see when it was completely air tight, so I knew to stop. The bag stayed vacuum sealed until I reopened the zipper. The food inside was just as fresh as when I had sealed it up.


Osem's Tri-Color Mini Croutons
 I reviewed here
 The bags can be used to store things in the refrigerator, freezer, cupboard or drawer. They are relatively sturdy bags and can be used for non food items as well.
Depending on what you store in it, the bag may be reusable.
The starter kit only comes with 5 bags but they also sell a 10 bags package, of each size available (without the pump).

Bottom Line: To me 25 NIS is somewhat pricey for 5 or 10 bags regardless of how well they vacuum-pack the food and protect from freezer burn.
I'll continue waiting until an electric counter-top, vacuum, food-sealer system (that uses biodegradable zip-lock bags) comes to Israel. That might be a tall order but I guess I can dream.
Starter package - 24.99 NIS - Including the pump the closing tool and 5 bags    (2 bags 23x21 cm. + 2 bags 28x23 cm. + 1 bag 30x28 cm.)
10 bags & the closing tool 28x23 cm. - 24.99 NIS
Disclaimer: All items were purchased by me.  No one is paying me for this review. All opinions are my own.

2 comments:

  1. I guess I've been here too long. I didn't know you could do these things at home. I must look into this some time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I guess I've been here too long. I didn't know..."

    I know the feeling, that happens to me often too:)
    Glad I could tell you about the vacuum packing.

    ReplyDelete